Friday, November 13, 2009

Winter machine

I've been volunteering down at the bike kitchen for the past few weeks and my main project was just completed: Guaranteed Worlds Finest Bicycle Precision Mechanism. Thats the actual name for it, so great. Anyways, I just got it street ready and the next day the snow storm hit. For anyone who isn't in Bozeman, we got hit with a big storm and everything is caked in snow and ice at the moment. So that day I played slip-n-slid all the way down to Summit bike shop to get myself some snow tires. I picked up some Inova studded snow tires in 35c. Im super stoked on them so far. I know a lot of my friends are really into studded tires for the winter and I have wanted to try them out for about 2 seasons. I can say now that I am very glad that I made the purchase. After slippin' around for 2 years its nice to not have a sense of dread every time I walk out the front door to start my commute. The feeling is quite the contrary as a matter of fact, I now get excited when I have the opportunity to ride my snow bike and actually welcome the conditions (to a degree). Being able to safely commute in the winter on extremely less than perfect roads makes a world of difference, with the proper equipment the same old roads get a new face that is pretty enjoyable.
You may be wondering why I am so happy about these new tires, after all they are JUST snow tires. I mean get with it, this is Bozeman. Well my past 2 winters have been primarily spent on a track bike with no brakes, now fender mounts, and 23-28c road tires. You get where Im coming from, right? Here are some pictures:


No comments: