Sunday, April 26, 2009

I think this is what has happened.


So Last time that I posted I was in Ontario Canada all wet and cold.  Well the next day proved to be a bit better.  The rain held off and allowed us to get on into Michigan.  While the rain held off it continued to be cold and windy.  As soon as customs gave us the green light to procede into America I felt a sense of safety, as if I was finally home.  Although we were never actually that far away from the US while in Canada it was just nice to have that chapter done, and to know that we were once again on native soil.  As we pushed on the weather began to warm though the wind still pushed hard down on us, sometimes from the side causing us to lean hard so as not to be blown off the road, sometimes in our faces, and for a few moments to our backs propelling us effortlessly forward.  For the most part it seemed to push against our chest, an invisible force crashing down on us like giant waves at the break point.  Though a warm wind is better than a cold one.  The temperature climbed as the days went on,  until we awoke in Fairgrove MI at 6:45 am with already 50 degree temps.  We stopped in a place called Bay City MI to fix some pedal problems I had been having.  My cleats stripped out in both shoes causing me to actually have to take my foot out of the shoe to do anything non-riding related.  It was pretty annoying, and I have the bruises on my hip to prove it.  Jack's Bike Shop is just behind Jack's house.  An awesome place with some beautiful vintage bikes that you would be hard pressed to find anywhere else in such good condition.  Ask me in person about the details because that could fill a whole other post.  Anyways Jack helped me out, and I got some new Shimano SPD road pedals that I have been enjoying very much.  I also picked up one of his cycling caps (see pictures).  So we topped off the day at 80 degrees and we were in heaven.  Clare MI had a diner that served 24 breakfast, a pancake brinner and I was ready for bed.  When we zipped up the tent for the night it was still 60.  Huge rain storms at night lowered the temperature, though not too much.  The next morning we were ready for a similar day and left the camp ground in just short sleeves and shorts.  About 2 hours into our ride a dark cloud loomed over the horizon, and things didn't look good.  Shortly after the words, "Hey looks like rain... " were uttered a squall of biblical proportions descended upon us.  I never thought I could get that wet that quick, but it happened.  We pushed on regardless, marveling at the speed at which it had come and the ferocity of which it persisted.  The rest of the day it rained, and it rained hard.  The day was ended at 80 miles and a warm motel.  Not much changed in the morning, cold and rainy all day.  Now we are in Traverse City MI, 70 miles away from yesterday, and all its soggy events.  Tomorrow looks to be much of the same, a little warmer!  Though you wont find us complaining, this is the deal and we signed up bright eyed and bushy tailed.  Our tails are a bit damp, and eyes a little dim, but it wont last forever and soon we will be back in the sun.  Just keep on keepin' on.



Im ready for the Seals training now.
The word, "Waterproof" is written on a lot of things.  Usually driving up the price.  An 8 hour day in non-stop rain is a good test, and most "Waterproof" things don't pass.
"I think its only 5 more miles."

Oh its summer now.
I forgot to talk about this in the summary.  The road we needed was just on the other side of this bridge.  Too bad that the bridge was OUT.  We asked the guys to just hoist us up and over with the crane.  The guy called his boss and he said no.  10 mile detour... 
Great end to a day.
Back to the U.S. of A.  Burr.
Almost back!!! 

No comments: